Petite Fashion Challenge #9: “Heat Wave Appropriate”

I decided to take part in PFC#9! I figured, this challenge can’t be too difficult, I do this just about every single day in the summer (when I’m working)! But as it turns out, it was really difficult. It’s was a huge challenge for me to put something together PFC-worthy because when it gets as humid as it does in D.C. during the summer, I really just don’t care about being creative. LOL.

The Challenge:

Create an outfit that accounts for the various environmental factors that plague us in the summer. I want to know how you dress when it’s 90 degrees outside and 65 degrees inside. Do you utilize peel-able layers? Are you particular about choosing fabric that is light but resistant? Or do you just tack on a blazer over summer clothes?

Here in D.C., it’s more like 100F (37C) outside and 65F (18C) inside, so it’s pretty darn hard to get fancy. And to be honest, I don’t. I also tend to get a little more casual the hotter it gets.  Not really on purpose, but I prefer not have to go through the laundering process (dry cleaning!) of all my nice blouses if I can avoid it. So I usually pick light, machine-washable fabrics because they are much easier (and cheaper) to clean. The best I do is try to add color and mix prints (which I’m not that good at), otherwise it’s usually a skirt and a short-sleeved or sleeveless top because I sweat like a fat kid. Long sleeves is just not a good idea unless I want massive sweat marks circling my underarms right down to the bottom of my shirt. Oh yes, it’s happened. Over top, it’s usually a cardi or a scarf depending on how cold it’s going to be in the office, sometimes even both. =P I actually would prefer to wear a blazer, but it’s not something I like to carry around on my commute to work and I don’t have a permanent office space to store it.

To start:

DRESSED ACCORDINGLY

Add a colorful layer:

DRESSED ACCORDINGLY
DRESSED ACCORDINGLY Banana Republic Lightweight Wool Pencil Skirt / GAP Striped Tank / LOFT Linen-blend Cardi / Forever21 Pendant /Michael Kors Runway Watch /LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Zabrina Pump

Or a scarf:

DRESSED ACCORDINGLY
Scarf: Tolani

Or, bright colored cardi and a scarf!

DRESSED ACCORDINGLY

Thanks for hosting, Elle! I can’t wait to see all the other PFC posts!

1. Michelle July 30, 2011

Your outfit is great! I love the bright pop of green! That necklace is gorgeous!!

2. Stylepint July 30, 2011

Love the stripes and the bright colors! Way to bring in the some fun colors to your summer outfit! I’m totally with you on the sweat thing…I try to wear light tops so it’s not as noticeable. lol =)

3. Amber July 30, 2011

lol at “fancy” 🙂 the cardi is probably my favorite, but im boring like that. i agree on the knits- i hate doing laundry!!

4. Jessy July 30, 2011

Scarf! It’s the perfect piece to wrap around you in an AC’d environment : )

5. Cee July 30, 2011

This is my favorite outfit this challenge. LOVE your mix of stripes, colors, and patterns.

LOL @ sweating like a fat kid. That perfectly describes me too 🙂

6. Holy crap I LOVE this! I would have never thought to pair green with this and it works so well.  I’m really jealous of that high waisted skirt.  And thanks for putting the temperature in celsius, I was too lazy to look it up and I just figured 100F was REALLY hot and 65F was REALLY cold 😛

7. Kileen July 31, 2011

i love your mix of colors and patterns!!  and i’ve never tried Ralph Lauren pumps before but these look really great on you!

cute & little

8. Katherine July 31, 2011

Fantastic additions of the green cardigan and the scarf – they both make the outfit look so different 🙂

9. Olyvia Do July 31, 2011

haha, I don’t know how guys do it, going to work everyday in button-up shirts….cause if I had to wear those, i’ll be having major embarrassing wet sweat marks under the arms too. Love the stripe top and the necklace compliments nicely!

10. PetiteAsianGirl July 31, 2011

Oh yes..I have totally also found sweat stains the size of a grapefruit and was beyond mortified. I really like the stripes here with kelly green and that big unexpected print scarf.

11. Psychedforstyle.blogspot.com July 31, 2011

Ohhh, I love that green cardi! So striking!

12. Really Petite July 31, 2011

Love love love this outfit Cher! The green cardi is to die for and loving it with the navy and stripes….must replicate this outfit..LOL

13. Callandra July 31, 2011

I quite like this outfit!  Your mix of colors and prints are very creative I think 😉

14. Erin July 31, 2011

AH cute! I love the bright green with the navy and white – that’s a color combo I’d never think to put together but it looks great! I am also TOTALLY with you with regard to machine-washable! It’s not worth dry cleaning in the summer!

15. Mae Luu July 31, 2011

Actually, I think you were pretty creative! You mixed prints and you look long and tall and lean, with punches of color you need to enliven a boring office setting!

If you belt that scarf around the cardi, you’d look even more daring! I love it!

That’s a great scarf. And the kelly green is awesome.

xx{ish}.,Mae Lu @ ~thereafterish.!

16. Elvi August 1, 2011

Great variation and so much fun and color! 🙂

17. Elle August 1, 2011

I love all the bright colors you chose as the “layering” pieces – the concept of a basic monochromatic base combined with colorful layers is genius. Great job Cher!

18. QuestforFashionSense August 1, 2011

The kelly green of your sweater is very pretty and the pendant is beautiful.  Lovely outfit(s)!

19. A Cleaner Closet August 1, 2011

I think you actually look quite polished here.  I love the black/white foundation, and the colorful printed scarf looks great over the stripes.

20. Cathy June 25, 2015

Good idea to dress in layers. I have the exact problem now that summer is approaching.