Big dot, little dot.

I successfully lengthened and slimmed these J.Crew cafe capri in pop art polka dot (before vs. after):

DSC02884_2 DSC03278_2

I am super happy with them. I got about an extra 3 inches out of the cuff and I think I even lost about half an inch of length after trying to shrink them. Trying to shrink the pants in the width was otherwise unsuccessful. They’re still big in the waist, but nothing a belt can’t fit. I also slimmed each leg by a total of 3/4 of an inch. It took a few tries to get it just right, but it finally worked out.

Now that they are lengthened to my liking, I’ve been trying to figure out *if*, and how I might be able to wear these to work. When I am working off-site, I can dress much more casually than I would be if I was on the client site but I try not to take it too far, unlike my colleagues who sometimes look like they rolled out of bed. Maybe over the next few weeks I’ll try some different wardrobe combinations with these pants and you can all help me figure out if it’s work appropriate, or if I should just stick to wearing them casually. Here’s the first attempt at a work outfit where I tried mixing dots, another first:

DSC03330_2 DSC03284_2 DSC03311_2J.Crew Cafe Capri / Ann Taylor Silk Camp Shirt / LAUREN by Ralph Lauren Amelie Pump / Aldo Ring / Dogeared Necklace / Banana Republic Factory Skinny Leather Belt

It kind of makes me dizzy. All over/mixing print is completely different from what I’m used to, and the dots on the blouse are probably too small for the mixing to work perfectly. But lucky for me, this shirt is navy so that the two pieces work together a little more seamlessly than they would have if they were different colors. I have also been having a bit of a difficult time with some color combinations given that these are blue with cream dots. The cream dots throw me off and I find I have to push myself slightly out of my comfort zone and take some color “risks” by treating the pants like a neutral and see what results. Again, some constructive criticism or suggestions are appreciated.

What do you think? An outfit appropriate for work, or no?

1. ShoppingObsession May 11, 2012

Fits so much nicer after your alterations. I tried on the same pants too am just waiting for a sale. Think it’s work-appropriate. Just wear a neutral-colored top to balance it out.

2. PetiteAsianGirl May 11, 2012

Great job on the DIY alteration! I love mixing big w/ small prints. I don’t know exactly how conservative your workplace is, but if it’s more conservative I’d probably vote no for dot on dot despite loving it personally. People who don’t appreciate patterns or the art of pattern mixing might find it crazy/distracting (as I’ve come to discover…at my new job : )

3. Cee May 11, 2012

This is your best alteration job yet! I’m personally a fan of the small dots with big dots. Unfortunately I’m not in your field, so I’m not really sure if this outfit would be work appropriate. I’d venture to guess that maybe on casual Fridays if your workplace is conservative. In my casual office, this outfit would be considered dressy 😉

4. Sarah Stright May 11, 2012

You did a great job, they look fantastic on you.  I love the pants but am a little afraid to try them!

5. Kish Channette May 12, 2012

I love these pants…kudos for altering them to your liking and mixing them with another polka dot print.  I like it!

6. Whichbean May 12, 2012

love!

7. I kinda love this look, with the polka-dot combo, and picturing it with a bright red or yellow belt. Work dress codes are tricky — I have my own rule about not wearing jeans on teaching days — but it sounds from what you wrote like you’re a more conscientious dresser at work than some of your colleagues. So go with your gut… these pants (which are super cute!!!) only work with confidence. 🙂

8. I kinda love this look, with the polka-dot combo, and picturing it with a bright red or yellow belt. Work dress codes are tricky — I have my own rule about not wearing jeans on teaching days — but it sounds from what you wrote like you’re a more conscientious dresser at work than some of your colleagues. So go with your gut… these pants (which are super cute!!!) only work with confidence. 🙂

9. SewPetiteGal May 13, 2012

Fantastic job on the alteration!  They look ten times better and I love the dot on dot look!

10. Cher May 13, 2012

You’re better than I am to try and wait for a sale! I just used my rewards card against them…and they were still pricey after it was applied, but they’re so fun I couldn’t resist them! They turned out to be quite the splurge but after my own DIY alterations, I don’t regret it at all.

11. Cher May 13, 2012

Thanks, Jean! Haha. I agree that it can be distracting. I can probably get away with the dot on dot, but being a more conservative business casual dresser than many of my colleagues, I’ll probably just wear the pants with a solid color. I’m sure very few people at my work place would be able to appreciate it as well. 😉

12. Cher May 13, 2012

Thanks, Cee! I probably wouldn’t be able to do it on the client site, but off-site I could probably get away with it even though I would still get some weird looks for the dot on dot! I may just pass and go with a solid color instead!

13. Cher May 13, 2012

You should totally try them! I was afraid as well, but I’ll try anything once! It’s probably one of my favorite purchases of the season (despite being a bit of a splurge for something so “fun”).

14. Cher May 13, 2012

Thanks, Kish!! I’m so happy with the end result! 🙂

15. Cher May 13, 2012

I try to avoid denim at work as well. I used to even avoid it on Fridays when everyone else was doing it. But eventually, I was like, oh..why not? It makes the work day much more enjoyable. Haha.

16. Cher May 13, 2012

Thank you! That means a lot coming from Ms. SPG! 😀

17. gaby May 14, 2012

you look amazing! I like the combination, love polka dots 🙂
    kiss

18. Lisa Ng May 14, 2012

Great job on the DIY slimming! I think totally appropriate for work especially since both are conservative colors.

19. AUBS May 16, 2012

love cher!  one of my faves!  love the mixing of polka dots along w/the mixing of the base color.

20. Audrey Mac July 1, 2012

I think you look amazingly classy and chic. The alterations are perfect. I think it looks classy enough for work. While I don’t know your industry, I would dare to say that 90% of women do not dress as nicely.