Wise Words + Something personal

Big, big news. More than big. HUGE.

If you’ve followed my blog over the last few years, you may have read about some of my personal struggles on this blog…at least, my very vague allusions to them. To make at least one of them more clear, I have been un-, or more accurately, under-employed for the last three and a half years–since I finished grad school.  I moved to the U.S. from Canada seven and a half years ago in hopes of being guided towards long-term success, but for a long time that success was nowhere to be found.

Over-educated (if there’s such a thing), up to my eyeballs in student debt, living at home, and a dead-end job–a disastrous combination. It has been an incredibly long struggle. Despite all my efforts, I couldn’t make any progress. I’ve heard all the excuses: “We’re not hiring”, “You don’t have enough experience”, “You are overqualified”, “You’re not the right fit”, etc., etc. I’ve had many, many moments where I felt like it that light at the end of the proverbial tunnel was off and that it was all just a hopeless battle. Every time I thought I had hit rock bottom, I sank deeper. It has been one crazy emotional roller coaster. But after much persistence, and a lot of downs (many more than ups), I finally got a job! And the best part? I’m moving home!

I’m extremely excited, relieved, and all those great things that you feel with a new chapter of your life is beginning. I also can’t wait to be with my friends and family again. Despite such an amazing opportunity with tons of potential to grow professionally, admittedly, there is also a part of me is a bit sad. As much as I am ecstatic about what is to come, the moment is somewhat bittersweet. It has taken me a long time to get here, and along the way I lost a few things that were very important to me and I am not sure if I will ever get them back. Of course, that is life–in time, we both gain things and we lose things, and we must accept the fact that life may not ever be exactly the way we want it to be. So yes, a part of me is disappointed, but I am happy to be able to finally move forward in my career and to see what else will fall into place.

Now if you are wondering about what is going to happen with this blog, I honestly have no idea. There is a possibility that the blog might continue along exactly the way has been, albeit with a different background, of course. However, there is also the possibility that it might get better, or that it will slow down dramatically. I guess we won’t know until the new year when I start my new position. What I do know is that this new job is going to require some consistently long hours, especially as I try to hit the ground running (I’m known to be a bit of a workaholic),  but we’ll see what happens. So at least to start, this blog will likely slow down until I can settle in and find a groove, but I do hope to keep it going. So if this blog does not continue it won’t be for lack of trying.

And the other big question: is it time for some shopping?? Probably not. Over the last several years, I’ve slowly built up my work wardrobe, and although the basic wardrobe is not quite close to “complete”, I’ve done fairly well. Although I could use a few sheath dresses and blouses, I don’t think I *need* to make any major additions except for a new suit. I’m also not getting a huge increase in salary to start, so the shopping budget isn’t going to get any larger, unfortunately. I may add a few pieces here and there, but I’ve noticed that when I make pressure purchases for the sole purpose of growing my wardrobe as I did when I first started working, I don’t make smart choices. So in the interest of keeping my wardrobe only filled with practical things that I love, new additions will likely be minimal. I am, however, considering a new handbag to use for work. 😉

Thank you so much to all of you who have followed me through my personal struggles these past few years despite the fact that I have never shared the details. I am so thankful for all your support even if you didn’t know you were providing it. 😉 I hope for there to be plenty more for me to share with you. xCher

1. Carol Li November 18, 2012

Sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling over the years, but congratulations on your new job! If you wish to continue blogging, you could look at creating posts showing how to re-mix items from your wardrobe rather than spending more money.

2. SS_littleflowers November 18, 2012

Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your new job!

It must have been hard 3 1/2 years for you so I’m really happy for you. I think I can understand your bittersweet feelings a bit. I had looked for mine for awhile, finally got one and I don’t know what to feel sometimes although I’m excited for sure.

Hope you the best!

3. Cee November 18, 2012

I am super happy and excited for you, Cher! I remember your frustrated vents now and again over the last few years, but didn’t want to pry. So thank you for sharing your roller coaster journey. You know we’ll be here for you, so take all the time you need to settle in your new job. Congrats again!

4. Canadianpetite November 18, 2012

Great news indeed, Cher! I admired your strength in living away from family and friends. It’s been good to have ‘known’ you even if it was only in the cyber world. Good luck with the new job and with the move. Life seems better when you’re near loved ones, right?

5. nancy November 18, 2012

congratulations! I’ve been following your blog for a while, and I thank you for sharing your struggles and now your success. I don’t mean to sound philosophical or anything like that… but your entry made me think of one of my favorite quotes, I hope you don’t mind my typing it here…

“We plan our lives according to a dream that came to us in our childhood, and we
    find that life alters our plans. And yet, at the end, from a rare height, we
    also see that our dream was our fate. It’s just that providence had other ideas
    as to how we would get there. Destiny plans a different route, or turns the
    dream around, as if it were a riddle, and fulfills the dream in ways we
    couldn’t have expected.” Ben Okri

I wish you the best!

6. CynthiaC.M. November 18, 2012

Congratulations, Cher!

7. Phoebe November 18, 2012

Congratulations Cher!! As a follower, I hope you keep up with your blog, but you have to do what’s best for you so I guess only time will tell. I hope this new job brings great opportunities and much happiness. All the best to you Cher and hope you have a smooth move home! xoxo, Phoebe

8. ER November 18, 2012

Congratulations! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now because you’re one of the few petite bloggers with a distinctive edgier style, which I love, so i hope you keep up with your blog! But even if you don’t, I wish you the best, both with the new job and with the move back home.

9. bea November 18, 2012

Congratulations, Cher! I look forward to your success. In the case that this blog takes an hiatus I want to let you know that I’ve loved watching your fashion sense develop and you are one of my favorite petite (though you never look it!) bloggers. It’s simplistic with an edge as someone else described it. You’ve inspired me to have a more curated wardrobe.

Side note, this confirmed that I don’t want to get a master’s degree >_<

10. lisacng @ expandng.com November 18, 2012

Congrats, Cher! Glad you are going home to family, friends, and future you will enjoy! Having that support nearby sure is helpful! Can’t wait to see what the future holds for you and this blog

11. Alterations Needed November 18, 2012

Congrats Cher! What an exciting beginning to the new year!

12. PetiteintheCity November 19, 2012

Congrats on the new job Cher! I went through the same thing a couple years back. There were no jobs in Toronto so I took a chance on a job in Portland, worked there for 2 years but realized it wasn’t where I wanted to be in my career. I moved back, and things have been going up since. Plus its great to be back with family and friends again – that’s priceless. I do value my time spent in US a lot, it was a good opportunity for me to grow especially living away from home (b/c a university campus an hour away from Toronto doesn’t really count!) its a real test because you’re outside your comfort zone and many don’t have that opportunity ever. Plus I realize now I have a much broader perspective than my colleagues who have only lived in Toronto. I think you’ll realize that too. Btw, my last major purchase before I moved back was my dog 😉 Hope to meet you sometime in person when you come back! -Lor

13. TOBeautyReviews November 19, 2012

That’s awesome Cher! The best decisions are usually the biggest and hardest to make.

14. Elle November 19, 2012

Congratulations Cher, I am so happy and excited for you! 🙂

15. Cassie November 19, 2012

Welcome back to Canada! I hope you do decide to keep this blog going. I’m curious to see how much your style changes between the two cities.

16. Cher November 19, 2012

Aw, thank you for the well wishes!

17. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Cee! The last few years have been really hard, but I’m happy to have had all my blogger friends for their support! I’ll try my best to get my act together as fast as I can! =)

18. Cher November 19, 2012

It took me a big move to realize it, but life is better when you’re near loved ones!

19. Cher November 19, 2012

Thank you, Nancy! What a great quote! Thanks for sharing!

20. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Cynthia!

21. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks for the well wishes, Phoebe! I hope to keep this blog going, it just may take me a bit before I find a groove!

22. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks so much, ER! I’ll do my best. My blog is really a great creative outlet, so I won’t let it go so easily. Thanks so much for reading!!

23. Cher November 19, 2012

LOL. You know, despite my struggles, I don’t really regret going to law school and getting my master’s. It was a part of my dream. I just have bad luck–I graduated when the economy was at its worst. I had the rug pulled out from under me before I had my footing. But my advice is, if going to grad school is your dream, go for it…but don’t go just because you don’t know what else to do with your life or that it “might* be a good thing. You have to want it, and be sure. In the end, you’ll have no regrets.

Thank you so much for reading, bea!

24. Cher November 19, 2012

Thank you, Lisa!

25. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Kelly!! It totally is! I can’t wait for a new beginning!

26. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Lor! I had no idea you lived in Portland! But yes, you’re right, I do already realize I have a different and broader prospective than many of my friends who have never really left home. I’ve been hoping to get a dog for the last few years! I’m hoping next year I’ll have a little one (or a big one) if my job allows me to give the pup the attention it needs. I’d love to meet you sometimes in the new year!

27. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Elaine! =)

28. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Elle!! I’m very excited, as well. =)

29. Cher November 19, 2012

Thanks, Cassie! This is an interesting point you make. I’m not sure that my style will change that much, but who knows. Maybe more of that edge in me will come out! What I do know is, I’m so happy that I’ll actually be able to wear my jeans in the summer again!! =D

30. Anon in nyc November 19, 2012

Congrats. All the best to you going forward !! I know exactly what your schedule will be like because I was there 3 years ago. keyword “was”. Remember to take time for you so that you don’t lose yourself.